Grow Your Own Food (March 13-May 1)
- Going beyond organic, this online series will teach you everything you need to know to grow your own food regeneratively and enjoy delicious and healthy garden-to-table meals in a way that works best for you and for the planet!
- During these challenging times, one of the most empowering, impactful and regenerative things we can do for ourselves and the planet is to start growing some (or all!) of our own food.
- This course is for everyone! No matter where you live, be it in a big metropolitan city or a rural countryside setting, in a house with a backyard or an apartment/condo, you will walk away from this course inspired, empowered and supported to start growing! We’ve done it all, and we will show you how!
- Even if you’re already growing some of your own food, this 8-week course will show you how to do it in a way that maximizes yield while helping to regenerate your soil and your health as naturally as possible.
- You will also learn about the fundamentals of a holistic nutritious diet and receive recipes and tips on what to do with your harvest, so that you can nourish yourself and your loved ones in the best possible way.
- Shorten your food miles, your carbon footprint, and your waste footprint, all while regenerating the planet, taking your health back into your own hands, and tasting the freshest and most delicious produce you will ever eat!
- If you care deeply about the planet and want to be a part of a like-minded/like-hearted eco community dedicated to co-creating a better, healthier world right from our own homes, then please join us for this life-changing journey!
- For Ourselves. For Our Children. For the Planet.
What You Get
Eight inspiring and educational modules over Zoom (and video recordings that you can watch anytime during the course), Facebook Live Q&A sessions, and reference materials by two passionate instructors who live their environmental values and have over 50 years of combined experience in organic gardening and yoga/health/holistic nutrition.
A private Facebook community where you can share, support, inspire & be inspired to deepen your "Green" thumb! We'll also offer ongoing Facebook Lives on relevant topics, answering your questions and providing you with real-time support as you start your food-growing journey!
10% off Ahimsa Eco products (including the Urban Composter!) on your next order. A one-time use personalised promo code will be provided upon registration in this program. Shipping is free on orders of $100 & over (after discount).
Who are We?
Wes and Stef are the co-founders of Ahimsa Eco Solutions, a business-for-good dedicated to taking care of our planet. We live off the grid in the Gatineau Hills with our husky pup Nanuk.
Wes has been organic gardening and composting for over 30 years. He integrates his knowledge of environmental engineering, permaculture design, urban planning, and organic gardening to help empower people and businesses realize their eco goals.
Stef is a holistic nutritionist, yoga teacher, and Ayurveda and wellness coach. She is a passionate advocate for the health of both people and the planet and coaches her clients on how to live in harmony with nature and eat their way to radiant health.
(March 13, 10:30 AM-12:30 PM EST)
- The "Why": Global snapshot of food-related environmental issues
- What to grow: Choosing the best food crops for your diet, property and lifestyle
- How to grow from seeds
- Rural vs. urban, backyard vs. balcony
(March 20, 10:30 AM-12:30 PM EST)
Food as Medicine
- Fundamentals of holistic nutrition
- Intro to Ayurveda
- Choosing the right food for your individual constitution
(March 27, 10:30 AM-12:30 PM EST)
Planning Your Garden
- Sun, water, and microclimates
- Container, raised bed, and garden bed: Which is right for you?
- Vertical and intensive gardening
- Companion planting
- Naturalization and pollinator support
- Edible landscaping
(April 3, 10:30 AM-12:30 PM EST)
Feeding Your Plants Organically
- What plants need to survive
- Nutrient cycles and their roles
- Soil heath
- Soil types and amendments
- Organic fertilizer options
(April 10, 10:30 AM-12:30 PM EST)
How to Deal with Pests, Weeds, and Diseases Naturally
- Pests are indicators
- The benefits of crop rotation
- Polycultures: nature rewards diversity!
- When and how to water your plants
- Strategies and recipes for pest control
(April 17, 10:30 AM-12:30 PM EST)
Plant Medicine: Herbs and Weeds That Heal
- Rethinking weeds
- Wild vs. cultivated
- Foraging vs. growing
- Health benefits of different herbs
(April 24, 10:30 AM-12:30 PM EST)
- Make your own medicine!
- Tinctures, extracts and infusions
- Healing salves and oils
(May 1, 10:30 AM-12:30 PM EST)
- DIY: raised bed (use reclaimed wood if possible)
- DIY: rain barrel from a repurposed container
Hear what participants
from our previous online courses had to say!
‘I LOVED everything about Make Shift Happen! I learned so much, it is really inspiring and amazing to connect with so many bright minds and motivated people online. The program was well planned and organised and so amazingly inclusive. Each webinar I learned so much and there was always space to ask questions and interact which I am grateful for.
I would definitely sign up again!’
‘Stefani and Wes are doing great things by building an eco tribe, and helping to educate and inspire change within the community.
I very much enjoyed each session, and I look forward to more educational workshops with them.’
‘Such a knowledgeable seminar! Speakers really know what they’re talking about!’
US$397 (early bird price of only US$297 before March 6)
of which a portion will go towards reforestation and environmental protection initiatives. Ahimsa Eco will donate proceeds from this workshop to Sadhana Forest to help combat desertification, food deserts, poverty, and climate change with their reforestation efforts using native, regionally-appropriate, food-bearing trees.
We know that these are challenging times for many. Our mission is to create widespread meaningful change and empower as many people as possible to lead a Regenerative Life, so we are offering several half-price and free work-exchange scholarships for this online course. For the half-price scholarships (off the regular course price), please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org detailing your situation and how this course will benefit you and your community.
For the work exchange scholarships, there will be no fee for the course in exchange for fulfilling certain work requirements throughout the duration of the course. Please send us an email at email@example.com telling us more about your situation and how you would like contribute in an admin/social media support role.
"To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow."
~ Audrey Hepburn